Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chill of an early fall

It's about 60 degrees in the great state of Texas right now and I am LOVIN' it!  Hopefully, it'll stick around for a while.  I live in an area of the US where you northerners laugh at us because we consider 60 as COOOOLD LOL.  But it's nice.  Comin' from a 100+ degree summer and an even worse August, where you're drippin' with sweat just walkin' to your car in the parkin' lot, I look forward to this time of year.  I embrace it.  

On another note, I am now officially 2 weeks post op and I am feelin' fantastic!  100% back to normal except that I still cannot sleep on my stomach (and do not sleep well on my back or side, might I add).  I did move to mushies today and I'm goin' back to work tomorrow.  It was nice chewin' my food because I am tired of drinkin'!  I did have my protein shake for breakfast but for lunch I had 2 turkey meatballs my mom made for my hubby while she was here and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes (no, I don't know if there's an E or not, so shoot me).  I don't any have restriction but I took small bites, chewed at least 20 times, and have been full and satisfied throughout the day.  I then had a late snack of 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt (love this stuff) with splenda and a small amount of honey and I am not interested in eating anything else.  My doc said specifically, "if you are not hungry, don't eat", so I'm not.  

(I'm currently watchin' X Factor and this little girl Drew is so amazing!!!)

So, in light of the wonderful chill in the air, I just had to put on some chilli.  They just go together.  It's in the crock pot now and i'll let it cook overnight so it'll be good and ready for me to pack my lunch in the AM.  Since I am banded, I decided to try something a little different...black beans.  So this is a vegetarian meal, and a lot healthier than your standard chilli.  And, since it's cookin' overnight, it'll be nice and mushy for me tomorrow! 

Black Bean Chilli
2 big cans of Black Beans
1 standard can of Black Beans 
(or 5 standard size cans)
2 medium zucchini
1 cup of mushrooms
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 white onion, chopped
2 Alarm Chilli (I have no idea if this is something that is just in the south, if so, any chilli kit should do)

Mix all in Crock Pot, set on low and cook for about 8 hours, and Voila'!

Nutrition Facts for 1/2 cup serving (has about 12 1/2 cups)
Calories    109
Fat            1g
Carbs        14
Protein       7g

Enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. Keep the good work up! Chili is one of my favorite food post band!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black beans in Chilli sounds fabulous! Have a great day at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that Drew is adorable! And the chili looks great. I can't eat it like I use to pre-band. It's like anything tomatoey(is that a word) causes reflux.

    Anyways, enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speck- isn't she??? I just loove her voice!
    Everyone else - thank you! I had it for lunch today and it was great. I can't wait to make a pot of real chilli with turkey meat! I guess I couldve fine that now but I've been in the mood to experiment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the weather! When it's 40 in Southern California I'm ready for arctic wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand! When its 40 we shut down :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, we usually wait until it's snowing up here in northern Texas to shut down. ;)

    Great sounding recipe. I need to go get some black beans, sounds like.

    OH, and I was sleeping on my stomach from the day after surgery... my doc said it was fine.

    ReplyDelete